Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwiches
I'm the first to admit that a life without chocolate is not part of my master plan. I don't believe you need to cut out your favourite foods to be healthy.
I really love chocolate so for me, balance means keeping it on the menu. I love this healthier treat recipe, originally from the Keep It Real Program, because it combines a few of my favourite things!
Which is the healthiest chocolate to eat?
Invest in high-quality choices. I personally love Lindt dark chocolate ;) Dark is better of course as opposed to really sugary options. Over time, your taste buds change and you normal (mass-produced) chocolate tastes too sugary.
That said, I also think you need to choose the chocolate you enjoy the most.... Let’s be real - you are not eating chocolate for it’s ‘health benefits’ so sometimes if you buy the stuff you really enjoy, eat it less often and it’ll satisfy more helping you feel content with less.
Balanced treat recipe
Salted Peanut Butter Banana Sandwiches
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Freezer time 30mins - 1 hour
- Very easy
- Serves 12
- 4 large ripe bananas
- ¼ cup of peanut butter
- 100g high-quality chocolate*
- 1 teaspoon of salt flakes
- Peel bananas and slice into 0.5cm thick rounds.
- Spread lightly with peanut butter, and then place another piece of banana to form a sandwich.
- In a double burner*, melt your favorite chocolate. Remove from heat. Dip one-half of the banana/peanut butter sandwich in the melted chocolate. Sprinkle with salt and place in freezer for 30-mins to 1 hour. If frozen for longer, simply wait 5 minutes before eating.
*I don't have a double burner exactly. I just use a metal bowl... Works a treat!
Are you an emotional eater?
These are very moorish! If you feel like you typically can't stop at one, this may be a trigger food for you. Best to work on healing your relationship with food before trying out this recipe. Check out how Keep It Real Program can help.