Spicy Chickpea Breakfast Bowl with Za'atar Eggs
Do you really eat 5 to 7+ serves of vegetables a day?
Most people struggle to get more than 1 or 2 serves a day and then wonder why they don't feel energetic, struggle to lose weight and go to the loo...
TIP: a serve of veg is about the size of your fist!
Eating more veg it's one of the simplest and easiest ways to get healthier - fast.
We all know we should be doing it but somehow, it doesn't seem as important as the brand of yoghurt we eat...
If there is one thing I think we should all be doing it is eating more veg.
It's easy to get caught up in nutrition confusion.
Before worrying about which yoghurt is the healthiest, first make sure you've got the basics right because that will make the biggest difference.
Add more vegetables to your diet with this 7-minute recipe. It's my personal favourite healthy breakfast.
Why this healthy recipe is so great for you!
- Legumes and wholegrains are a brilliant slow-burning, high-fibre carb source. I often toss legumes like chickpeas into casseroles, soups and salads - or to my breakfasts. Why not try it too..
- The eggs are affordable and a great source of protein and eating them doesn't increase your cholesterol!
- Tahini is a great source of plant-based healthy fats, stays in the fridge for ages and it's only made of one ingredient: sesame seeds.
- Oh. So. Tasty! Nourishment is more than just nutrients. Foods gotta taste good to be healthy for body - and soul ;)
Healthy recipe - Sugar-free - Gluten-free - Nut-free - Good for Diabetes - Heart Healthy - High Fibre - Low GI - Mood Boosting - Good for Gut - High Protein - Antioxidants - Healthy breakfast recipe - Healthy Vegetarian Recipe - Dairy-free
Spicy Chickpea Breakfast Bowl with Za'atar Eggs
- Serves 1 for a healthy breakfast
- Cooking time 7 mins
- Very easy
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1/2 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Sprinkle of chilli powder
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- Za'atar (middle eastern spice often available in supermarkets)
- 1/2 punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tahini (available in health food aisle)
- Heat small fry-pan on med to high. Add 1 teaspoon of EVOO. Break in eggs and scramble until cooked. Add to small serving bowl.
- Return fry-pan to heat. Add 1 teaspoon of EVOO and add chickpeas, paprika and chilli powder (I add a sprinkle but add more if you like). Mix chickpeas until heated through then add to serving bowl.
- Return fry-pan to heat and add spinach. Cook for 30 seconds or until slightly wilted, then add to serving bowl.
- Serve with cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle eggs with za'atar, drizzle the tahini onto the chickpeas and finish the dish with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- I use extra virgin olive oil in my recipes. Highly quality EVOO is healthy to cook with even at high temps. Make sure it's 'extra virgin' and use within 6 months of opening as lots of the healthy antioxidants will be lost after this time.
- Add the remaining chickpeas to your salad or dinner! - or eat as a snack like me!
- You can soak your own chickpeas (I'd recommend it!) but I haven't gotten into that healthy habit just yet. I also rinse my chickpeas well and make sure I buy local rather than imported.
- Don't worry about wiping down the fry pan between foods. It adds flavour and is much easier to just keep going, even if there is residue.
SHARE IT! Did you try this at home? I want to know about it! Please tag me on Instagram as I'd love to see your creation.
Want a simple, yet healthier lasagne without the fuss? This healthy lasagne is the best comfort food. It’ll help you eat healthily on a budget and it’s vegetarian, so it’s perfect for meat-free Monday.
My mum makes the BEST Thai Corn Soup. I turned it into a healthy version that doesn’t compromise on flavour. This healthy recipe is great for meal prep, if you’re on a budget or love meat-free Mondays.
A surprisingly quick and easy breakfast idea for a seriously healthy start to your day.
This super simple one tray salmon bake is a game-changer for mid-week meals.
This one-tray balsamic chicken is a perfectly balanced meal to make for a mid-week dinner (or meal prep)!
This Loaded Greek Salad is one of my favourite recipes. It uses everyday ingredients to create something really special... in a matter of minutes.
One pot and just a few key ingredients, this easy (and cheap!) recipe will create a delicious meal. Make it for Meat-free Monday and you'll have plenty of leftovers to enjoy throughout the week.
A delicious 4-ingredient treat. I pretty much just took the yummiest ingredients and blitzed them up into a recipe. How could it not be good?
This is an easy, classic and oh-so-delicious salad recipe to add to your repertoire. It's perfect for meal prep...!
With only four ingredients, this simple salad is perfect for mid-week meals (or entertaining).
I used to hate my body (I mean like really hate my body). But now I love my body, something I never thought was possible! So, how do you go from hating your body to loving your body? Here’s 15 ways how I learned to love my body and be body confident.
I travel as much as I can, hopping on a plane about once a month. Here’s how I stay healthy when I travel.
Looking for the best restaurants and places to eat in Prague? I've got you sorted. Here is my list of the best places to eat in Prague in 2018.
Eat healthily, save money and reduce food waste.
Loving your body in a society that tells you not to is a radical act of self-love. I learned that having a supportive partner can help you learn to love your body.
You spent all week eating well but the scales don't reflect it. If you eat healthily and still can't lose weight, read this.
Face lotions and serums have a role to play, but what you put in your mouth really does show on the outside.
It's time to do good by your health. Stop asking for salads with dressing on the side.
With hundreds of yoghurts on display in the cold section of supermarkets, choosing a healthy yoghurt can be a daunting task. Here is a guide to help you choose a healthy yoghurt.
Which is the best meal delivery service in Australia? Read my review of the best meal delivery services in Australia right now - and find out which meal delivery service I'd choose.