Spicy Chickpea Breakfast Bowl with Za'atar Eggs
Do you really eat 5 to 7+ serves of vegetables a day?
Most people struggle to get more than 1 or 2 serves a day and then wonder why they don't feel energetic, struggle to lose weight and go to the loo...
TIP: a serve of veg is about the size of your fist!
Eating more veg it's one of the simplest and easiest ways to get healthier - fast.
We all know we should be doing it but somehow, it doesn't seem as important as the brand of yoghurt we eat...
If there is one thing I think we should all be doing it is eating more veg.
It's easy to get caught up in nutrition confusion.
Before worrying about which yoghurt is the healthiest, first make sure you've got the basics right because that will make the biggest difference.
Add more vegetables to your diet with this 7-minute recipe. It's my personal favourite healthy breakfast.
Why this healthy recipe is so great for you!
- Legumes and wholegrains are a brilliant slow-burning, high-fibre carb source. I often toss legumes like chickpeas into casseroles, soups and salads - or to my breakfasts. Why not try it too..
- The eggs are affordable and a great source of protein and eating them doesn't increase your cholesterol!
- Tahini is a great source of plant-based healthy fats, stays in the fridge for ages and it's only made of one ingredient: sesame seeds.
- Oh. So. Tasty! Nourishment is more than just nutrients. Foods gotta taste good to be healthy for body - and soul ;)
Healthy recipe - Sugar-free - Gluten-free - Nut-free - Good for Diabetes - Heart Healthy - High Fibre - Low GI - Mood Boosting - Good for Gut - High Protein - Antioxidants - Healthy breakfast recipe - Healthy Vegetarian Recipe - Dairy-free
Spicy Chickpea Breakfast Bowl with Za'atar Eggs
- Serves 1 for a healthy breakfast
- Cooking time 7 mins
- Very easy
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1/2 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Sprinkle of chilli powder
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- Za'atar (middle eastern spice often available in supermarkets)
- 1/2 punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tahini (available in health food aisle)
- Heat small fry-pan on med to high. Add 1 teaspoon of EVOO. Break in eggs and scramble until cooked. Add to small serving bowl.
- Return fry-pan to heat. Add 1 teaspoon of EVOO and add chickpeas, paprika and chilli powder (I add a sprinkle but add more if you like). Mix chickpeas until heated through then add to serving bowl.
- Return fry-pan to heat and add spinach. Cook for 30 seconds or until slightly wilted, then add to serving bowl.
- Serve with cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle eggs with za'atar, drizzle the tahini onto the chickpeas and finish the dish with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- I use extra virgin olive oil in my recipes. Highly quality EVOO is healthy to cook with even at high temps. Make sure it's 'extra virgin' and use within 6 months of opening as lots of the healthy antioxidants will be lost after this time.
- Add the remaining chickpeas to your salad or dinner! - or eat as a snack like me!
- You can soak your own chickpeas (I'd recommend it!) but I haven't gotten into that healthy habit just yet. I also rinse my chickpeas well and make sure I buy local rather than imported.
- Don't worry about wiping down the fry pan between foods. It adds flavour and is much easier to just keep going, even if there is residue.
SHARE IT! Did you try this at home? I want to know about it! Please tag me on Instagram as I'd love to see your creation.
Introducing Cauliflower Steaks - A healthier alternative to the BBQ grill. You've probably eaten cauliflower as rice, mashed, boiled and baked - but have you ever tried grilling it on the BBQ?
This is my favourite baked sweet potato recipe. It's a classic. I keep coming back to it because it's really that good. The sweet potatoes caramelises. It's the perfect recipe for batch cooking or meal prep.
With only 2-ingredients, this healthy recipe will be ready in less than 3 minutes. I have a major sweet tooth and this healthy strawberry sorbet (with its' sweet/sour taste) really hits the spot.
Avo smash is a classic Aussie favourite featuring beautiful Australian Avocados. This simple healthy recipe is a fantastic breakfast option. You'll find it it's satiating thanks to the combo of healthy fats and lean protein.
Most banana breads from cafes are closer to dessert than "bread", however, this banana bread recipe is far healthier for you. You're going to love this recipe!
Love avocado? chocolate? and dessert? then you will love this super simple, quick and easy creamy avocado and dark chocolate mousse!
This whole baked dutch carrots recipe is a great side to almost any dish. Once the oven is on, make your life easy - add chicken or salmon to the tray. An easy and healthy dinner will be ready in no time!
Want to put a healthy dinner on the table in 30 minutes, without much cleaning up? This healthy one-tray recipe is for you! It ticks all the boxes.
Love fresh and crispy veggies (not overcooked, limp and dull veg)? Then this super-quick sautéed chilli snow peas recipe will give you healthy crispy side dish in five minutes.
This 10-minute chicken salad with strawberry and a sweet balsamic dressing is a delicious, healthy and fast meal. This recipe is the perfect light summer meal.
Nutrition has become so confusing. I've learned a lot about people and healthy eating by working as a dietitian and nutritionist. Here is a no-BS summary of what I know for sure...
Before I became a dietitian, I tried many detoxes and cleanses so I know how they work! I'm sharing the 8 simple steps to detox or cleanse (just like a celebrity or health blogger).
Want to get more followers on Instagram? These 10 strategies will help you gain more Instagram followers in the health and fitness world.
Intense sugar cravings can be really hard to resist. Luckily, you can stop sugar cravings with these 5 strategies. Learn how to beat sweet cravings - without 'quitting' sugar.
Nadia Felsch is one smart and talented lady. This soon-to-be nutritionist and founder of Wholefoods Society shares her favourite foods, self-care habit and tells me how she manages to do it all (and still keep it real simple)!
Hate shopping for a new swimsuit? You're probably doing it wrong. These game-changing 7 tips will make bikini shopping infinitely less stressful.
A few weekends ago, I flew to Australia's produce capital, Tasmania to visit the Huon Salmon Family farm. My aim? To learn exactly how Huon Salmon is always the freshest to market.
Dietitian and Nutritionist Rebecca Gawthorne (aka Nourish Naturally) will inspire you to eat more plants and get active. She shares her favourite snacks, tips and what's in her fridge as I found out how she keeps it real.
The Flexitarian Diet the latest trend in the health world. So, what is the flexitarian diet? Find out the pros and cons of the flexitarian diet to help you decide if it's right for you.
Around 30% of people are avoiding gluten because they think it's better for you. But is a gluten-free diet really healthier for you? Should you cut gluten out of your diet?