Spicy Chickpea Breakfast Bowl with Za'atar Eggs
Do you really eat 5 to 7+ serves of vegetables a day?
Most people struggle to get more than 1 or 2 serves a day and then wonder why they don't feel energetic, struggle to lose weight and go to the loo...
TIP: a serve of veg is about the size of your fist!
Eating more veg it's one of the simplest and easiest ways to get healthier - fast.
We all know we should be doing it but somehow, it doesn't seem as important as the brand of yoghurt we eat...
If there is one thing I think we should all be doing it is eating more veg.
It's easy to get caught up in nutrition confusion.
Before worrying about which yoghurt is the healthiest, first make sure you've got the basics right because that will make the biggest difference.
Add more vegetables to your diet with this 7-minute recipe. It's my personal favourite healthy breakfast.
Why this healthy recipe is so great for you!
- Legumes and wholegrains are a brilliant slow-burning, high-fibre carb source. I often toss legumes like chickpeas into casseroles, soups and salads - or to my breakfasts. Why not try it too..
- The eggs are affordable and a great source of protein and eating them doesn't increase your cholesterol!
- Tahini is a great source of plant-based healthy fats, stays in the fridge for ages and it's only made of one ingredient: sesame seeds.
- Oh. So. Tasty! Nourishment is more than just nutrients. Foods gotta taste good to be healthy for body - and soul ;)
Healthy recipe - Sugar-free - Gluten-free - Nut-free - Good for Diabetes - Heart Healthy - High Fibre - Low GI - Mood Boosting - Good for Gut - High Protein - Antioxidants - Healthy breakfast recipe - Healthy Vegetarian Recipe - Dairy-free
Spicy Chickpea Breakfast Bowl with Za'atar Eggs
- Serves 1 for a healthy breakfast
- Cooking time 7 mins
- Very easy
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1/2 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Sprinkle of chilli powder
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- Za'atar (middle eastern spice often available in supermarkets)
- 1/2 punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tahini (available in health food aisle)
- Heat small fry-pan on med to high. Add 1 teaspoon of EVOO. Break in eggs and scramble until cooked. Add to small serving bowl.
- Return fry-pan to heat. Add 1 teaspoon of EVOO and add chickpeas, paprika and chilli powder (I add a sprinkle but add more if you like). Mix chickpeas until heated through then add to serving bowl.
- Return fry-pan to heat and add spinach. Cook for 30 seconds or until slightly wilted, then add to serving bowl.
- Serve with cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle eggs with za'atar, drizzle the tahini onto the chickpeas and finish the dish with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- I use extra virgin olive oil in my recipes. Highly quality EVOO is healthy to cook with even at high temps. Make sure it's 'extra virgin' and use within 6 months of opening as lots of the healthy antioxidants will be lost after this time.
- Add the remaining chickpeas to your salad or dinner! - or eat as a snack like me!
- You can soak your own chickpeas (I'd recommend it!) but I haven't gotten into that healthy habit just yet. I also rinse my chickpeas well and make sure I buy local rather than imported.
- Don't worry about wiping down the fry pan between foods. It adds flavour and is much easier to just keep going, even if there is residue.
SHARE IT! Did you try this at home? I want to know about it! Please tag me on Instagram as I'd love to see your creation.
My best healthy bran muffin are a new healthy snack idea and they're seriously great for lunchboxes as they're nut-free. Make a batch of this bran muffin recipe ahead of a busy week for healthy meal prep.
In just 15 minutes, you’ll have this flavourful, easy and healthy meal ready to eat.
Here's a quick and healthy breakfast recipe idea with only 5 ingredients. It's a great meal prep recipe to make ahead of a busy week! All you need is milk, oats, chia seeds, cacao and maple syrup to create this quick and easy breakfast meal.
If you’re looking for a quick, one-pot, midweek meal – try out my healthy 20-minute chicken curry. Yum!
With just 5-ingredients, this super simple Low GI rice pudding is awesome for breakfast or dessert. Oh, and did I mention it’s ready in just 10 minutes?!
Best. Healthy. Appetiser! Big call - I know - but this healthy appetiser is seriously great to take to a party. It’s got texture and flavour PLUS it’s super easy. My friends loved it. I bet your friends will too… Enjoy making this delicious recipe!
This Chilli Garlic Green Beans recipe is a healthier alternative to hot chips. Alright. I get it. Not as tasty as hot chips. But you can eat these healthy chilli, garlic green beans every night and feel good.
This quick and easy healthy dinner recipe is going to spice up your midweek meals. With a few basic, everyday ingredients and one-pan - you’ll pull together a delicious and healthy dinner the whole family will enjoy.
I love a quick, healthy recipe. And this One Tray Teriyaki Huon Salmon Recipe is my go-to healthy option when I come home from work (and I'm exhausted!) but still want to eat healthily. It couldn't be easier...
These smashed sweet potato garlic bites are legendary. Topped with crispy parmesan cheese, they taste so good and they're good for you too. Get the recipe.
Ever wondered how you can build confidence? Do you want to become more confident in how you look so you are less self conscious? Here’s my guide to long-lasting unconditional confidence.
Would you take off your clothes in a room filled with strangers? I did - and it was amazing. Here’s what I learned from stripping off.
With all the hype, you’re probably at least a little bit curious about intermittent fasting. To set the record straight, I’m answering your burning questions like “Does intermittent fasting really work?” and “Should I try intermittent fasting”?
By working with (not against my cycle) I’ve discovered incredible ways to better manage my mood, body confidence, skin, hunger, cravings, exercise, sleep, sex drive and energy. Here’s how tracking my period helped me improve my health.
Feel guilty for demolishing the kitchen in another food binge? Angry with yourself for overeating yet again? Here are some simple strategies to help transform the binge into something useful.
If you want to become a nutritionist or a dietitian, this is my honest advice on starting a career in nutrition. Find out how I got my nutrition career started, what I recommend for study and how much nutritionists and dietitians earn. Plus more!
I got to have a chat with the legendary Ian Thorpe about mental health, body image and his work with Reach Out.
Losing the last bit of weight can be so hard. If it feels like your body is fighting against you and you can't lose those last few pounds, make sure you read this.
Are you too hard on yourself? Do you lie in bed at night running through all the ways you’ve failed or aren’t ‘good enough’? It’s essential to learn to be kind to yourself. Here are my go-to strategies when I need to be extra kind to myself.
The hashtag #celeryjuice has amassed over 80,000 photos on Instagram, with everyone from health bloggers to celebs espousing the benefits of the stalk-like vegetable. Read on to learn more about the celery juice trend and whether you should bother trying it.