Spicy Chickpea Breakfast Bowl with Za'atar Eggs
Do you really eat 5 to 7+ serves of vegetables a day?
Most people struggle to get more than 1 or 2 serves a day and then wonder why they don't feel energetic, struggle to lose weight and go to the loo...
TIP: a serve of veg is about the size of your fist!
Eating more veg it's one of the simplest and easiest ways to get healthier - fast.
We all know we should be doing it but somehow, it doesn't seem as important as the brand of yoghurt we eat...
If there is one thing I think we should all be doing it is eating more veg.
It's easy to get caught up in nutrition confusion.
Before worrying about which yoghurt is the healthiest, first make sure you've got the basics right because that will make the biggest difference.
Add more vegetables to your diet with this 7-minute recipe. It's my personal favourite healthy breakfast.
Why this healthy recipe is so great for you!
- Legumes and wholegrains are a brilliant slow-burning, high-fibre carb source. I often toss legumes like chickpeas into casseroles, soups and salads - or to my breakfasts. Why not try it too..
- The eggs are affordable and a great source of protein and eating them doesn't increase your cholesterol!
- Tahini is a great source of plant-based healthy fats, stays in the fridge for ages and it's only made of one ingredient: sesame seeds.
- Oh. So. Tasty! Nourishment is more than just nutrients. Foods gotta taste good to be healthy for body - and soul ;)
Healthy recipe - Sugar-free - Gluten-free - Nut-free - Good for Diabetes - Heart Healthy - High Fibre - Low GI - Mood Boosting - Good for Gut - High Protein - Antioxidants - Healthy breakfast recipe - Healthy Vegetarian Recipe - Dairy-free
Spicy Chickpea Breakfast Bowl with Za'atar Eggs
- Serves 1 for a healthy breakfast
- Cooking time 7 mins
- Very easy
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1/2 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Sprinkle of chilli powder
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- Za'atar (middle eastern spice often available in supermarkets)
- 1/2 punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tahini (available in health food aisle)
- Heat small fry-pan on med to high. Add 1 teaspoon of EVOO. Break in eggs and scramble until cooked. Add to small serving bowl.
- Return fry-pan to heat. Add 1 teaspoon of EVOO and add chickpeas, paprika and chilli powder (I add a sprinkle but add more if you like). Mix chickpeas until heated through then add to serving bowl.
- Return fry-pan to heat and add spinach. Cook for 30 seconds or until slightly wilted, then add to serving bowl.
- Serve with cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle eggs with za'atar, drizzle the tahini onto the chickpeas and finish the dish with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- I use extra virgin olive oil in my recipes. Highly quality EVOO is healthy to cook with even at high temps. Make sure it's 'extra virgin' and use within 6 months of opening as lots of the healthy antioxidants will be lost after this time.
- Add the remaining chickpeas to your salad or dinner! - or eat as a snack like me!
- You can soak your own chickpeas (I'd recommend it!) but I haven't gotten into that healthy habit just yet. I also rinse my chickpeas well and make sure I buy local rather than imported.
- Don't worry about wiping down the fry pan between foods. It adds flavour and is much easier to just keep going, even if there is residue.
SHARE IT! Did you try this at home? I want to know about it! Please tag me on Instagram as I'd love to see your creation.
The perfect Summer BBQ salad to impress friends and family. Add this healthy recipe to your repertoire when you're next entertaining.
You're busy? Me too! So here is an easy and healthy mid-week Eggplant Parmigiana. You pretty much throw all the ingredients into a tray so it's kinda hard to mess up. Enjoy!
Easy, healthy, tasty... This healthy chocolate smoothie recipe is so filling and super convenient breakfast for busy mornings. It'll even help you sneak in a serve of greens.
You'll want oodles of these zoodles with this delicious creamy avocado dressing. Topped with flakey almonds, bright cherry tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese, I know you're going to love this healthy recipe.
When you make your own muesli or granola, it's often a lot healthier because you know exactly what goes into it. Try my homemade toasted muesli (granola) recipe for a healthier breakfast cereal.
This soup is so filling and healthy. I'll meal prep this recipe ahead of a busy week. It's a great way to get through veggies in the fridge and feed the family a really nourishing meal for less.
Tomatoes are at their best during Spring and Summer and this simple 4-ingredient Tomato and Feta Salad is a winner, especially for BBQ season. Swap the boring same-same salad for this simply wonderful dish.
This quick and easy overnight oats is wonderful for busy mornings. You can meal prep them on the weekend ahead of a busy week.
I'm so excited about this recipe. You should know up front that I can’t bake very well. I’m quite impatient, particularly when chocolate is involved. But even I could make this delicious Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe easily. It's so good!!!
Chocolate and Hazelnuts... two flavours that are meant for each other! This healthier version of a choc-hazelnut spread has only 4 ingredients, is super easy to make and did I mention it tastes amazing too?
If you're sick of always 'falling off the bandwagon, and want better willpower, this is a must read. This is by far the most common reason for poor willpower.
How NOT to meal prep.
Lie in bed at night feeling guilty for overeating (yet again)? If you can't stop eating, then read this blog post to learn how to break the cycle. These tips are especially useful if you can't stop eating at night.
If you're always striving for more, better or leaner, then you need to read this.
Before I became a dietitian, I tried many detoxes and cleanses so I know how they work! I'm sharing the 8 simple steps to detox or cleanse (just like a celebrity or health blogger).
Coconut oil is very trendy at the moment but is it really that good for you? Find out which oil I use every day and what I really think about coconut oil (and the superfood claims).
Nutrition has become so confusing. I've learned a lot about people and healthy eating by working as a dietitian and nutritionist. Here is a no-BS summary of what I know for sure...
Want to get more followers on Instagram? These 10 strategies will help you gain more Instagram followers in the health and fitness world.
Intense sugar cravings can be really hard to resist. Luckily, you can stop sugar cravings with these 5 strategies. Learn how to beat sweet cravings - without 'quitting' sugar.
Nadia Felsch is one smart and talented lady. This soon-to-be nutritionist and founder of Wholefoods Society shares her favourite foods, self-care habit and tells me how she manages to do it all (and still keep it real simple)!