Summer Mushroom Salad
Summer is the ideal time to eat refreshing food with lots flavour like this summer mushroom salad. With all the colours of the rainbow, and the nutritional benefits of mushrooms, this easy to prepare side salad is perfect for summer BBQs with friends and family.
Prep this salad before the time and it will store well in your fridge!
Serves: 6 as side dish
Cooking: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tbs pomegranate molasses*
- 400g button mushrooms, trimmed
- 2 red capsicum, halved
- 2 yellow capsicum, halved
- 400g mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 small bunch watercress, sprigs picked
Combine olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice and pomegranate molasses in a screw-top jar. Put mushrooms in a large ceramic bowl, pour over three-quarters of the dressing and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour to allow mushrooms to absorb the dressing.
Preheat grill on high heat. Place capsicums skin side up on a tray, grill for 5-8 minutes until skin is charred. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Cool 10 minutes, then peel and discard the skin. Slice capsicums into 2.5cm-thick strips and add to the mushrooms.
Toss tomatoes, parsley and watercress through the mushrooms. Arrange on a platter, drizzle with remaining dressing. Season to taste and serve.
* Pomegranate molasses is a sweet, thick syrup used in Middle Eastern cooking. It is available from deli’s and selected supermarkets.
For more easy, free and delicious recipes, check out the Power of Mushrooms Website.