How to choose a healthy yoghurt
With hundreds of yoghurts to choose from, finding a healthy yoghurt can be hard. Which is the healthiest yoghurt in Australia?
Here are my top tips for finding a healthy yoghurt.
My top 5 tips for selecting a healthy yoghurt
1. Avoid fat-free/skim*: Instead, we recommend less than 4.5g fat/100g serve. Low-fat yoghurt also tends to have a slightly higher protein content because the extracted fat allows for more of the remaining nutrients within the same volume.
2. Reach for Greek/plain varieties: These tend to be the highest in protein and will keep you fuller for longer. Anywhere from 5-10g protein/100g serve is generally a good target.
3. Look for ‘no added sugar’ on packs: As a general guide aim for less than 10g sugar/100g serving for unflavoured/plain yoghurt. If you’re one for the sweetened yoghurts, a drizzle of honey is in no way a deal breaker!
4. Go for probiotics: Natural and Greek yoghurts also tend to be great sources of probiotics – the little bugs that keep your gut happy! Labelling such as “live cultures, acidophilus, lacto bacilli, thermophillus, bifidobacterium” sounds fancy, but all mean probiotics.
5. Compare by 100g if you're buying a large tub. To find the lowest sugar or highest protein option, always compare products by looking at the 100g numbers. If you're buying portion-sized tubs, then you might want to compare using 'per serving'.
Are Deli-style yoghurts healthy?
You know the yoghurts they sell at cafes that boast that they are 94% fat-free? They are actually more of a dessert than a yoghurt with 5-7% fat. For some perspective, normal full-fat yoghurt have about 3-4% fat. These options are often very high in sugar as well.
Why I don't recommend diet yoghurt...
Fat is incredibly satiating. So 'fat-free' yoghurt can leave you feel hungry. Because fat makes yoghurt creamy, to get that same consistency, diet yoghurt often have additives like emulsifiers and gelatin.
Diet yoghurts often tend to be added sugar to make them tastier and to compensate for the lack of fat. The end result – a less than satisfying and not so healthy yoghurt.
Is coconut yoghurt a healthy option?
Click here to read my verdict on whether coconut yoghurt is healthier than dairy yoghurt.
Which are the healthiest yoghurts? What yoghurt do I recommend?
- My top pick is the Jalna range of yoghurt, with probiotics.
- I personally love the Biodynamic yoghurt from the Jalna range as well as the full-fat Greek Yoghurt.
- For families, I think the YoPro yoghurt is a great option as it's portion-sized, has less sugar than other competitors but still tastes good and it's high in protein.
- Opt for a Greek Yoghurt. If you need sweetness, simply add honey or maple syrup or fresh fruit. That way you can control the sweetness and can get a more natural option whilst still going for Greek yoghurt.
MORE HEALTHY BLOG POSTS YOU MIGHT LOVE:
Looking for a new swimsuit that makes you feel good? Here are some of the best one-piece and bikini swimsuit brands in 2018.
Follow these 3 steps to boost your body image, without deleting Instagram. Transform social media from comparison trap to a confidence booster.
Some Instagram accounts can help you love your body. Here’s the BEST 12 body positive Instagram accounts that can boost body positivity.
There’s a simple reason why you don’t feel full after smoothies + how one small tweak can make the difference.
Here are 6 things you can do to stop feeling fat.
There are few very important things to keep in mind if you want to teach your children how to have a healthy relationship with food.
How many years have you wasted hating your body and wishing you looked like someone else? If you feel unhappy with your body and hate your weight, it’s time for a change.
I'm not sure why it's called the 'health' food aisle...
I used to hate my body (I mean like really hate my body). But now I love my body, something I never thought was possible! So, how do you go from hating your body to loving your body? Here’s 15 ways how I learned to love my body and be body confident.
I travel as much as I can, hopping on a plane about once a month. Here’s how I stay healthy when I travel.
Looking for the best restaurants and places to eat in Prague? I've got you sorted. Here is my list of the best places to eat in Prague in 2018.
Eat healthily, save money and reduce food waste.
Loving your body in a society that tells you not to is a radical act of self-love. I learned that having a supportive partner can help you learn to love your body.
You spent all week eating well but the scales don't reflect it. If you eat healthily and still can't lose weight, read this.
Face lotions and serums have a role to play, but what you put in your mouth really does show on the outside.
It's time to do good by your health. Stop asking for salads with dressing on the side.
With hundreds of yoghurts on display in the cold section of supermarkets, choosing a healthy yoghurt can be a daunting task. Here is a guide to help you choose a healthy yoghurt.
Which is the best meal delivery service in Australia? Read my review of the best meal delivery services in Australia right now - and find out which meal delivery service I'd choose.
Coconut oil is very trendy at the moment but is it really that good for you? Find out which oil I use every day and what I really think about coconut oil (and the superfood claims).
Want to eat healthier, for less? You don't have to eat beans and rice or give up your avocado addiction to eat healthy on the cheap. Here are some truly non-sucky ways to eat well, for less.
If you want to become a nutritionist or a dietitian, this is my honest advice on starting a career in nutrition. Find out how I got my nutrition career started, what I recommend for study and how much nutritionists and dietitians earn. Plus more!
Sick of falling off the bandwagon? These simple mindeset shifts will help you find balance and let go of an 'all-or-nothing' mentality.
They're calling it the Great Avocado Depression. But when will the insanity end?
If you're sick of always 'falling off the bandwagon, and want better willpower, this is a must read. This is by far the most common reason for poor willpower.
How NOT to meal prep.
Lie in bed at night feeling guilty for overeating (yet again)? If you can't stop eating, then read this blog post to learn how to break the cycle. These tips are especially useful if you can't stop eating at night.
If you're always striving for more, better or leaner, then you need to read this.
Before I became a dietitian, I tried many detoxes and cleanses so I know how they work! I'm sharing the 8 simple steps to detox or cleanse (just like a celebrity or health blogger).
Nutrition has become so confusing. I've learned a lot about people and healthy eating by working as a dietitian and nutritionist. Here is a no-BS summary of what I know for sure...
Want to get more followers on Instagram? These 10 strategies will help you gain more Instagram followers in the health and fitness world.