29 life-changing health habits you should adopt (that won't make you feel deprived):
I get it - 'Quitting sugar' is simpler than 'eat everything in moderation'.
You follow rules. You have a list of foods to avoid. You don't have to think. And it makes you feel trendy. But that's a diet. And diets don't work.
You know how I lost 20kg for good? Not by quitting sugar or 'eating clean'. But by adopting healthy habits.
Adopting healthy habits (not restriction) is the only proven way to lose weight - and not regain it.
So instead of jumping on yet another diet bandwagon (that will suck the joy out of eating and drive you to binge eat the pantry), why not adopt one of these incredibly simple, lifestyle habits.
29 healthy habits (that won't make you feel deprived):
1. Stop making crappy ice-berg lettuce, tomato and carrot salads. They suck.
2. Try tomato, cucumber and onion salad. Try rocket, pear, parmesan salad. Try mango, avocado, onion salad. Still three ingredients. But actually tastes good.
3. Don't put salad dressing on the side. It makes salads taste good. This is important. Because it makes healthy eating enjoyable.
4. Cook at home one more night each week. That's doable, right? Schedule it in your diary. Here are some delicious, healthy recipes.
5. When you cook, make twice as much for a healthy lunch the next day = less take away = more $$
6. Stop eating 'six small meals a day'. Eat when you are hungry - not by the clock. Because Pringles were right! Once you pop, you typically... can't stop. Less frequent meals = Less worry = More satiation = Winning at life.
7. Get 10,000 steps each day. Get a fitness tracker like a Fitbit. You'll sleep so much better.
8. Aim to eat 2-3 pieces of fruit every day. And no, fruit is not fattening.
9. Quit that gym membership you hate. Do exercise you actually like. Go for a weekly walk with a girlfriend so you can spend the whole time talking about the latest Bachelorette episode. See... Way more fun!
10. Stop scrolling on social media. It's make you anxious and sad and feel not good enough. This isn't motivating. It's depressing. Use Moment app to track your addiction.
11. Eat less meat. Aim to eat meat once a day or less.
12. Unfollow nut jobs on social media. Especially all the crazies in the wellness world who pretend superfoods cure cancer.
13. Stop weighing yourself.
14. No seriously. Stop weighing yourself. Your weight doesn't define you. What does the number actually mean if you're never satisfied with your body regardless of your weight?
15. Accept your body as it is. Accepting your body doesn't mean you 'give up' and go downhill. It means you become motivated by taking care of yourself, not fixing yourself. And that kinda willpower is WAY more powerful. Try it. Go on... It works.
16. Don't eat in front of the TV.
16. Make an appointment with a counsellor or psychologist. I proudly see one regularly. It's gym for your brain.
17. Swap soft drink (including diet) for water.
18. Obsess about eating enough vegetables. Not avoiding carbohydrates or sugar.
19. Eat carbohydrates - if it makes you feel good. Bread isn't fattening.
20. Buy one new veg each week that is outside of your comfort zone.
21. Say yes to junk food when you're at social occasions - and you'll be less likely to binge on them at home in private.
23. If someone else is beautiful, it doesn't mean you are not. Don't comment on other peoples weight. You never know if they have an eating disorder, an illness, grief or depression...
24. Charge your phone in another room. Put it on aeroplane mode.
24. Always order veggies when eating out.
25. Find excuses to walk. Walk to buy your groceries, to post a letter, attend a meeting.
26. Get to sleep 30 minutes earlier.
27. Prioritise a healthy grocery shop at least once a week. Or order online.
27. Learn to say "NO" when people ask too much of you. Do you really WANT to do it? Do you even have time? Saying "No, thank you" is like a exercise. The more you do it, the easier it gets.... and you always feel better afterwards.
28. Fill your shopping trolley with 50% veg and fruit (and you will eat 50% veg and fruit!)
29. Stop trying to lose the last few kilograms. Focus on being healthy. Your healthiest weight will follow and reflect your inner balance.
How to make healthy habits that stick
- Simply pick a couple of healthy habits that resonate with you. Adopt them. But don't pick more than 1-3 at a time.
- Once the habits feel easy and effortless, pick another and repeat the process. It could take a few days, weeks or months until it becomes a habit. Be patient. If the habit doesn't work out, ditch it and pick another. Simple.
Sick of obsessing over food or feeling guilty after you eat, check out Keep It Real Program.
It'll help you eat healthier without the struggle. And with access for the life of the program, you’ll never have to waste money on another stupid diet program again. #winning.
BINGE READ THESE...
Lie in bed at night feeling guilty for overeating (yet again)? If you can't stop eating, then read this blog post to learn how to break the cycle. These tips are especially useful if you can't stop eating at night.
If you're always striving for more, better or leaner, then you need to read this.
Before I became a dietitian, I tried many detoxes and cleanses so I know how they work! I'm sharing the 8 simple steps to detox or cleanse (just like a celebrity or health blogger).
Coconut oil is very trendy at the moment but is it really that good for you? Find out which oil I use every day and what I really think about coconut oil (and the superfood claims).
Nutrition has become so confusing. I've learned a lot about people and healthy eating by working as a dietitian and nutritionist. Here is a no-BS summary of what I know for sure...
Want to get more followers on Instagram? These 10 strategies will help you gain more Instagram followers in the health and fitness world.
Intense sugar cravings can be really hard to resist. Luckily, you can stop sugar cravings with these 5 strategies. Learn how to beat sweet cravings - without 'quitting' sugar.
Nadia Felsch is one smart and talented lady. This soon-to-be nutritionist and founder of Wholefoods Society shares her favourite foods, self-care habit and tells me how she manages to do it all (and still keep it real simple)!
Hate shopping for a new swimsuit? You're probably doing it wrong. These game-changing 7 tips will make bikini shopping infinitely less stressful.
A few weekends ago, I flew to Australia's produce capital, Tasmania to visit the Huon Salmon Family farm. My aim? To learn exactly how Huon Salmon is always the freshest to market.
Dietitian and Nutritionist Rebecca Gawthorne (aka Nourish Naturally) will inspire you to eat more plants and get active. She shares her favourite snacks, tips and what's in her fridge as I found out how she keeps it real.
The Flexitarian Diet the latest trend in the health world. So, what is the flexitarian diet? Find out the pros and cons of the flexitarian diet to help you decide if it's right for you.
Around 30% of people are avoiding gluten because they think it's better for you. But is a gluten-free diet really healthier for you? Should you cut gluten out of your diet?
Diets suck. These 29 (surprisingly simple) healthy habits don't. Stop struggling to get healthy by depriving yourself. Follow these simple healthy habits instead. Promise - It's way more fun.
Losing the last bit of weight can be so hard. If it feels like your body is fighting against you and you can't lose those last few pounds, make sure you read this.
Since I was diagnosed with clinical anxiety, I've learned a lot about how to manage - and prevent anxiety. Here are the top 10 things I know now about anxiety. If you want to know how to deal with anxiety, this list can help.
Want to know which foods I never eat? As a nutritionist, there are a number of foods I avoid - and you might want to as well! Find out which foods to AVOID.
I used to be a binge eater. Until I stopped dieting. I lost 20kg and reclaimed my health. Here is my story how I lost weight. Plus all my favourite tips to help you on your journey.
Feeling bloated after meal is not fun. Here are some tips to help stop you from overeating when you're dining out.
Constipated? Bloated? These are the best high-fibre foods to add your diet to keep you going regularly.
Face lotions and serums have a role to play, but what you put in your mouth really does show on the outside! Here is my go-to list of the foods to eat for healthy, glowing skin...
We caught up with Miguel Maestre recently at an Australian Mushroom event and got to know about some of his favourite foods, preferences and how he keeps it real.
I often get asked for tips on how to stay healthy when you travel. Travelling used to make me feel stressed about my weight…But when I started to apply these simple strategies, it was easy to stay healthy whilst travelling.
If you're 'trying to be healthy' there is a good chance that you are dieting and secretly sabotaging your health and relationship with food. Find out if you are accidentally dieting - and what to do instead.
Do you think "well - I've ruined it now so I may as well..."? If so, you may be stuck in all-or-nothing thinking. And breaking free from this limiting belief will make all the difference. Here's how...
If you are trying to be healthy, you may be doing these things by mistake, jeopardising your wellbeing. Find out which 6 'healthy' habits aren't actually good for you and how breaking up with these habits can make you healthier - and happier.
Cutting back on alcohol? You may notice one of these amazing 12 benefits when you cut back on the booze. Find out what happens to your body when you drink less alcohol.
Always craving something sweet to eat after your main meals? There is a reason why. Find out the strategy I used to beat my sugar cravings and break the habit for good.
Are you obsessed with what you're allowed to eat? Do you get guilt when you eat too much? Obsessing over food and getting guilty doesn't help you be healthier. Get these two strategies to help you create a healthier relationship with your body.
Do you spend all day eating well but comfort eat when you get home? Do you eat healthily during the week only to overeat on the weekend? Learn how to stop binge and emotional eating with these tips.